Notifications
Clear all

Zenith and Nadir shots  

RSS

RickCarmichael
(@rickcarmichael)
04/09/2019 7:43 am  

Hi Patrick,

I've recently done some more architectural 360 for some luxury villas here in Bali. And I have a suggestion for the way the latest version of the app handles shooting zenith and nadir images.

I'm currently shooting two shots up and 2 shots down. But in both the up and down orientations, the app shoots the first one and then rotates 180˚ and shoots the second one - which is basically the exact same image, just rotated 180˚. Seems to me like when asking the app to shoot 2 shots up or down, the rotation for the second shot should be only 90˚. Or am I missing something?  

LuxViz - IMAGE MAKERS FOR LUXURY PROPERTIES
Photography, Cinematic Video, Mobile Apps & Websites

Topic Tags
Patrick
(@patrick)
Black Forest Motion Moderator
04/09/2019 10:48 pm  

Hi Rick,

The 180 degree rotation that you mention when setting 2 images in a row is the intended behavior. I implemented a quite predictable algorithm that will treat all rows the same (which was the cleanest solution as I now allow for unlimited number of rows and columns). If you set 2 images for any row, it will take the first image at position zero, and the second image at position 180. The formula is something like pan_position = (current_image -1) * (360 / total_images_in_row). In other words, the algorithm does not distinguish between a nadir, zenith, or intermediate row.

For your case I might suggest to set 3 images for the zenith and nadir positions. This will give you 3 images rotated by 120 degrees based on the above formula. 

I understand that 2 images rotated by 180 are not that helpful for the stitching process. Please let me know if setting 3 images for both zenith and nadir will help you if that adds too much time to your capturing. If that's not a good solution, I will think about something for the next firmware update.

ReplyQuote
RickCarmichael
(@rickcarmichael)
05/09/2019 2:40 am  

Hi Patrick - thanks for the fast reply.

Actually... with my Tamron 15-30 lens set at 15mm, I don't even need the zenith and nadir shots at all... as I'm shooting 3 intermediate rows (45, 90 one 135˚) and that gives me full coverage. So, not a big deal for me, but I thought I would point it out in case it was an oversight on your part. (Which I should have known better about!)

I'm SO pleased with your product. It's such a joy to be able to completely trust the performance and reliability of the PINE controller and your excellent app implementation. And as I said on a different post, the ability to shoot 5-shot brackets means I can start the sequence–without worrying about exposure settings–and know that I'll get a very useable shot in high dynamic range lighting conditions.

Keep up the great work!

Rick

PS - I did shoot some BTS footage at one of our last jobs and will be starting a tutorial video for how we're doing 360s later today - will post as soon as I finish it

LuxViz - IMAGE MAKERS FOR LUXURY PROPERTIES
Photography, Cinematic Video, Mobile Apps & Websites

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
Black Forest Motion Moderator
06/09/2019 9:18 am  

Hi Rick,

I'm glad that it works out for you and you obtain great results with PINE and your Stage R. 

Thank you for being an active member in this forum. We are always pleased to hear your feedback. 
The tutorial video for 360s sounds fantastic! We are very excited to see it and we will also share it on our website if that is okay for you.

Patrick

ReplyQuote
Share: