Forum 2018-08-06T22:58:13+02:00
Crashes on app vers...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Crashes on app version 1.7 when doing 360s?  

RSS

RickCarmichael
(@rickcarmichael)
12/07/2019 8:17 am  

I just updated my app to the latest version and saw the wonderful enhancement for removing the limitations on configuring 360 shots.

Just this morning I went to another villa photo shoot where I planned to shoot a 360 at the completion of my still photography, However, the app kept crashing on me. Here are the details:

App Hardware - iPhone 6+

iOS Version - 12.3.1

iOS App Version - 1.6

Firmware version - 1.7

What happened was that I got connected to the Pine Controller and I had to configure my motors (pan and tilt). Then when I first clicked on the 360 icon, I then clicked on the shot configuration to change it by adding one more row. Once I clicked done/ok, the app  totally crashed. I reopened it and tried to go back into the 360 mode and it crashed again when I tried to click to recheck the shot configuration settings. I also tried going into demo mode, and that also crashed in a similar fashion when trying to view the shot configuration.

I removed the power to the Pine and then rebooted and tried again, with the same results. I then deleted the app from my iPhone and re-downloaded/installed from the App  Store. No change, same crash scenario.

(I was REALLY bummed because we have been having very cloudy weather lately with very little blue sky - which I hate to shoot in. However, this morning was awesome blue sky and lighting. 🙁 )

Anyone else having these type of crashes with 360s using the 1.7 version of the app???

LuxViz - IMAGE MAKERS FOR LUXURY PROPERTIES
Photography, Cinematic Video, Mobile Apps & Websites

Topic Tags
Patrick
(@patrick)
Black Forest Motion Moderator
12/07/2019 9:17 am  

Hi Rick,

I'm sorry about that happening. When I released iOS App Version 1.5 (just 2 days before Version 1.6) I found a bug which sounds very similar to the one you are describing. I thought I fixed it and therefore released Version 1.6 straight away. I will double check the code.

Any chance you could send out a crash report? This might help me speed up finding the problem. 

Oh and by the way, there is a "Subscribe" button on the top of the page. You can subscribe to single threads or when new topics get created. This way you will be notified by email when something happens in the forum. 

All the best,
Patrick

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
12/07/2019 10:05 am  

Rick, I was able to reproduce the crash. I already fixed it and just submitted iOS Version 1.7 to Apple. 

The new version should be verified by Apple by tomorrow and you can then update the app. Hopefully this will fix it.

Sorry again for the trouble. These new features in the 360 degree mode required a lot of software changes, where the bug got introduced.

Best,
Patrick

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
25/07/2019 10:25 pm  

Hi Rick,

any updates for us how the new features in 360-Mode are working for you?
The bug in the iOS App was fixed a while ago.

All the best,
Patrick

ReplyQuote
RickCarmichael
(@rickcarmichael)
26/07/2019 5:40 am  

Hey Patrick,

Sorry for being slow to test and reply. Just ran a number of tests, and I think no crashes. I did have to recalibrate my 19:1 DP motor ratios. I think before I was using 56.8, but today, I needed to set it to be around 63.5 to get it to work out very closely for me. (This was for rotational motion and not linear.) There MAY have been one time when I was trying to set the motor ratio when the app crashed, but I may have also tapped on something which inadvertently took me out of the app.

Anyway, thanks for your quick work to address this issue.

I think you might remember me mentioning that I supported a prior Kickstarter project - for another motion control and exposure control device - that was nothing but continual headache. I honestly, never for a moment, considered using that device on a client shoot because it's was never, ever reliable. Over a period of more than one year. The developer of that project was apparently in way over his head.

So for me, the Pine Motion Controller is an absolute joy, seeing how completely competent you guys are in covering all the development issues for both hardware and software! You truly have a wonderful, very robust and reliable set of products! This is especially meaning to me as a professional villa and hotel photographer, because there has never been any concerns about using the Pine Motion Controller on ANY client shoots.

(Please feel free to use the above comments for any customer testimonials you have.)

PS - we're scheduled for another villa shoot in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to do a BTS video on any 360s we shoot

LuxViz - IMAGE MAKERS FOR LUXURY PROPERTIES
Photography, Cinematic Video, Mobile Apps & Websites

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
27/07/2019 2:40 am  

Thank you for your kind words, Rick!
We are so happy that you are satisfied with our product and that you can reliably use it for your client shoots.

Such feedback gives so much back to us and is one of the reasons we keep introducing new features and also continue development of new products. 

If you could get a BTS video together for your next 360 shoot, that would be awesome. This way, more customers could see our products in action.

ReplyQuote
Share: