Forum 2018-08-06T22:58:13+02:00
Notifications
Clear all

Some more options  

RSS

henguill
(@henguill)
23/05/2020 1:03 am  

Hi, as covid I take our lab rig to home to work hardly with it. Here is some point on my use in photogrammetry :

Using first an android phone : lot of problems (choose the right motor after the last firmware upgrade, turntable don't stop and impossible to save the configuration of set point).

Passing on an Ipad : perfect ! Just when after a scan relauching directly the camera never restart at the first keyframe ... is it a bug ?

So, for usage : 

• It will be great to be able to set more than 10 keyframes.
  • It will be great to store preset (such macro photogrammetry, medium size, tall).
  • Could be nice to integer a control between two key (no more than 30° tilt between two frames in photogrammetry) or add the possibility to set it up to manage each keyframes ?
  • Could be nice to choose the path (a button with "from bottom to top" and 'from bottom to top").
  • 2 pass preset (top to bottom and invert, inverting angle of the tilt motor too : -45° or + 45° or decide the angle latitude for inverting)
  • Speed photogrammetry preset ... I use a ring continuous light, put the camera at 800 iso, opening at 9 or 11 and speed at 1/250 to shoot in Nikon continuous mode (d810 at 4 fps) with continuous focus in 3D mode ... could it be possible to integrate this kind of preset with the turntable continuously turning and when returning at origin stop the continuous shooting , go up and start again (in 5 min you have your model and with the rig you don't have pain in your back :p).

I will continue to make a lot of test 😉 hope it gives idea

Henry-Louis
Guillaume

Patrick
(@patrick)
Black Forest Motion Moderator
23/05/2020 1:49 am  

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestions.
We will think about the feature requests and might include them in future updates.

For the problems you had with the Android App, could you further explain what happened?
I can't make sense of you explanations. Choosing the motors is exactly the same for Android and iOS app.
Also it would be helpful when you could explain when the turntable did not stop and what you meant with it is impossible to save configurations of set points?

Thank you and all the best,
Patrick

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
23/05/2020 1:54 am  

Just as a note, when a scan is completed and the app asks to start a new scan, the motor movement directions will be inverted. If the initial scan was for example going from the bottom to the top slider position, the next scan will be going from top to bottom. This is intentional to save time and the motors don't have to move back the long distance. If you want to the same scan direction always (going from first to last keyframe), simply cancel the dialog that appears at the end of the scan (don't select the start new scan option) and start a new scan instead by pressing the green PLAY button again. This will bring all motors to the first keyframe and the scan starts from there. 

ReplyQuote
henguill
(@henguill)
23/05/2020 2:16 am  

Hi, Thks for explanation for restart a new scan 🙂

For android, I choose :

• BFM NT Head
  • BFM Slider 19:1
  • BFM 3D-Turntable

If I choose BFM 3D-Turntable, I start a scan, it take the first picture and the table start turning and never stop ... So I added a second BFM NT Head as turntable and it worked 1 on 3 times (need to restart the controler). I didn't have this problem with the last firmware.

For the save : I configure a scan, push on the Save/Load button and it turn at infinity ... need to cancel it.

Here is the two problems with android that I have.

Could you have a solution to use continuous AF mode on nikon in the configuration ? I have tried different settings and it never take pictures (D810). Need to try with Z7 and Fuji xt-2 too.

Henry-Louis
Guillaume

ReplyQuote
henguill
(@henguill)
23/05/2020 2:45 am  

I wanted to say Previous firmware for the stepper motor selection of the turntable 😉

Henry-Louis
Guillaume

ReplyQuote
henguill
(@henguill)
24/05/2020 2:02 pm  

Just another idea that could be great : use of the flipped mirror function on dslr, so it just need to give one pulse to lift the mirror first, a temporisation (set in second) ans a second impulse to take the picture : better result but when making it handheld it's impossible to use it correctly.

Henry-Louis
Guillaume

ReplyQuote
henguill
(@henguill)
24/05/2020 6:48 pm  

As working in the dark (to avoid making clipping or having a black velvet background) with rig light on the lens, I had a problem that can be avoided by a little change in the software. Making more than 600 pictures, the ring light battery was empty during one keyframe (I have two ringlight so I switch between them making a pause in the acquisition). It could be nice, when using keyframe acquisition to be able to relaunch one or more selected keyframes (choosing wich one and hit play), so it will be possible to just take again a keyframe where the conditions were not good.

Henry-Louis
Guillaume

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
25/05/2020 12:48 am  

For the motor selection issue on Android, could you let me know the exact firmware version and app version you are using?
Is this an issue that still persists today or was resolved in the most recent updates?
Without knowing the exact version numbers it is hard to reproduce, as in my testing when choosing the "BFM 3D-Turntable" profile, I don't see any issues with the turntable. In fact the profiles for  "BFM 3D-Turntable",  "BFM 3D-Tilt", and  "BFM NT Head" are all the same. Just different names. Did you select the right motor for turntable in the motor select dialog that appears when entering the 3D mode?

For the "saving configuration" option in Android I see what you mean. The progress circle is rotating and doesn't finish. I will look into it. It worked before but something must have happened in the recent software updates. This feature was added just for Android on an experimental basis (feature does not exist in iOS app). In most cases, this feature is not needed as most scans are very unique and require a new configuration of the setup. However, I will try to make it work again.

For the AF Mode Setting, did you try increasing the Focus time in the app under the interval settings? You would have to set this time high enough so your camera can properly focus. If the trigger signal is sent too early (before the camera can focus the image) the camera will not trigger. We still recommend using manual focus on the camera for this application.

For the flipped mirror situation, we just recommend shooting with flipped up mirror at all times. On most cameras this is done by putting the camera into live mode. This is the common approach for most of pine's application modes (like timelapse, gigapixel, etc) and only one trigger signal is needed to capture the image.

Regarding the additional feature requests, we are not sure if we will be adding more such features into the app, as it is already getting overloaded. The app is meant to complete most of the scanning jobs easily while offering a quite deal of flexibility to adapt the setting to ones needs. Your suggestions are very specific. For that reason, we are thinking of working on a desktop computer software dedicated to the 3D scan application. So instead of using the smartphone app, you will be using a computer software to set everything up. In that case, we would be able to offer a more complete solution with additional customization capabilities. However, this development is still in the planning phase and might require some time to complete development.

All the best,
Patrick

ReplyQuote
henguill
(@henguill)
29/05/2020 6:36 pm  

Hi, If you made a software dedicated to the 3D pine acquisition, don't hesitate we will be glad to beta test it in our lab 😉 cause it could be great in tethering with retouching software to correct each picture before using them in photogrammetry soft.

Sincerly,

Henry-Louis
Guillaume

ReplyQuote
Share: