Forum 2018-08-06T22:58:13+02:00
Notifications
Clear all

Switching batteries during shoot  

RSS

alFrame
(@alframe)
27/03/2019 1:24 pm  

I was not exactly sure where to put this question it would maybe a good idea to have a "general questions/issues" topic in the forum.

Anyways, How are you guys dealing with switching batteries while shooting. If I disconnect the battery from the Pine to attach a new one, will it continue where it was or reset.

I am not exactly sure how long my battery will last driving the Pine, 2 Nic-O-Tilt (consuming 1.2 A) and either a 5:1 or 19:1 motor for the rail. I have a 12 Volt, 3.5 A, 15000 mAh battery.

Moritz
(@moritz)
Black Forest Motion Admin
31/03/2019 11:45 pm  

By switching battery Pine gets reset. It is not recomended during a shot. Also keep in mind that your Zero Position has now changed! Your positions will not match. You can return all Motors to zero before turning off the Power for matching positions. 

We are working on this to improve it.

All the best,

Moritz  

alFrame liked
ReplyQuote
alFrame
(@alframe)
31/03/2019 11:55 pm  

Thank you Moritz!

With the help of a professional electronics friend I am actually looking into hooking up multiple power banks by using an electronic circuit that would evenly draw 12 volt from my power banks.

My power banks can deliver 12, 17 or 19 Volt.

I read in the manual that the PINE controller can take from 8 - 24 volt. Would you go with 12? Or up it to 17 or 19?

Cheers,

Alex

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
Black Forest Motion Moderator
04/04/2019 6:30 am  

12V is a good choice for the power supply. We don't recommend going lower than 10V though.

If you increase the voltage, more heat is generally developed but the motors might have better torque and response characteristics at higher speeds.

alFrame liked
ReplyQuote
alFrame
(@alframe)
04/04/2019 12:37 pm  

Thank you Patrick!

I am currently running the Nic-)-Tilt motors at around 35 - 40 % speed with 1.2 Amp because I have quite heavy gear. Which is a bit slow to be honest. They don't get hot at all.

So you think I might run them @ 17 Volt to get a little more speed? But then maybe less Amp?

ReplyQuote
mzpictures
(@mzpictures)
Eminent Member
04/04/2019 10:34 pm  

Hi, 

For a little money, you can create a 12 volt high-availability circuit. Runs perfect for me.

Greetings Micha

ReplyQuote
alFrame
(@alframe)
04/04/2019 11:17 pm  

Looking good! Did  you build this yourself? Is it using diodes? My electronics friend is talking about using diodes to let the power run in only one direction and evenly from al the attached batteries so they don't charge each other.

ReplyQuote
Patrick
(@patrick)
Black Forest Motion Moderator
05/04/2019 9:12 am  

Hi Alex,

The source of heat are usually the motor drivers inside the PINE Controller. The Nic-O-Tilt motors usually don't get hot at such currents.

I'd suggest trying out different voltage and current settings and test the speed and heat behavior of the PINE Controller. If you only have 2 motors connected, 17V at 1.2A each should be fine. With 4 motors this might be a bit too much but you can always try. PINE has internal thermal shutdown protection on the motor divers so you technically can't fry them.

All the best,

Patrick 

ReplyQuote
Share: